United States presidential election in New Jersey, 2016
|Elections in New Jersey|
The 2016 United States presidential election in New Jersey was won by Hillary Clinton on November 8, 2016 with 55.5% of the vote over Donald Trump's 41.35%. New Jersey's 14 electoral votes were assigned to Clinton and her Vice Presidential running mate Tim Kaine.
Primary elections[edit | edit source]
New Jersey's presidential primaries were on June 7, 2016, with the Democratic, Republican, and Libertarian parties participating. Registered members of each party could only vote in their party's primary, while voters who were unaffiliated could choose any one primary in which to vote.
Democratic primary[edit | edit source]
Two candidates appeared on the Democratic presidential primary ballot:
Republican primary[edit | edit source]
Three candidates appeared on the Republican presidential primary ballot:
|New Jersey Republican primary, June 7, 2016|
|Candidate||Votes||Percentage||Actual delegate count|
|John Kasich (withdrawn)||59,866||13.36%||0||0||0|
|Ted Cruz (withdrawn)||27,874||6.22%||0||0||0|
|Source: The Green Papers|
General election[edit | edit source]
Candidate ballot access:
- Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine, Democratic
- Donald Trump/Mike Pence, Republican
- Darrell Castle/Scott Bradley, Constitution
- Rocky De La Fuente/Michael Steinberg, American Delta Party
- Gary Johnson/William Weld, Libertarian
- Alyson Kennedy/Osborne Hart, Socialist Workers Party
- Gloria La Riva/Eugene Puryear, Socialism and Liberation
- Monica Moorehead/Lamont Lilly, Workers World Party
- Jill Stein/Ajamu Baraka, Green Party
Results[edit | edit source]Template:Election box majority
Results by county[edit | edit source]
|County||Clinton votes||Clinton %||Trump votes||Trump %||Other votes||Other %|
Analysis[edit | edit source]
Hillary Clinton 55.5% of the vote was 2.9 percentage points less Barack Obama's win in the state in 2012. This was the first time since 1976 that New Jersey did not vote for the same candidate as neighboring Pennsylvania.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Democratic Party presidential primaries, 2016
- Republican Party presidential primaries, 2016
- Statewide opinion polling for the United States presidential election, 2016, New Jersey
References[edit | edit source]
- Green papers for 2016 primaries (D) (R). Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Official List / Candidates for President / For PRIMARY ELECTION 06/07/2016 Election" (PDF). NJ.gov. April 14, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-04.
- "Official List Candidates for President For GENERAL ELECTION 11/08/2016 Election" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State - Division of Elections. August 12, 2016. Retrieved November 9, 2016.
- "Official List Candidates for President For GENERAL ELECTION 11/08/2016 Election" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State - Division of Elections. December 6, 2016. Retrieved December 6, 2016.